Thursday, September 15, 2011

Aging Gracefully - Thanks for another year

I know some of you will laugh when you see that I am writing about age, as I am only 28 years old. But I really felt inspired to write about age and aging by watching a segment on Rachel Ray about a book on concquering your life after 40, instead of living in regret.

I love the fact that the culture around women and aging is starting to change. The adage has always been that men turn into studs as they get older and that women, well, turn into men as they age. I love the "positively ageless" ad campaigns, instead of the "anti-aging" campaigns.

My 29th birthday is in 1 week, with my greatest disappointment being that it is not my 30th birthday! I am so excited about the idea of turning 30. And as a 28 year woman, I look at so many of the 40+ year old women I know and think "Wow! 40 looks amazing!!" There's something so strong and confident and special about women as they age. I admire that strength. I look at 50s and 60s and then on and can't help but admire the dignity and class those women seem to possess.
I love that as women we are demanding to be recognized as more than just old and worn out, no matter what our age may be. I love the fact that women are dating younger men. I love that women aren't being forced to dress like matrons past the age of 40. Or wear poodle hair cuts. Or stop talking about sex after 60. Age is such a beautiful gift we are given. With age comes wisdom, knowledge and the understanding that we are here on this earth for more than just ourselves.

So cheers to all you fabulous ladies young and old and remember that for every woman that turns 50, there are five 20-somethings wishing they had that kind of confidence and certainty.

No comments:

Post a Comment