Saturday, September 17, 2011

Las Vegas Series - Special Moments

Through the almost week I was in Vegas, there were several special moments for me that warrant mentioning.

1. My students Julie and Monica were in attendance.
There was something really special about having Julie and Monica in Vegas with me. We did not take all of the same workshops or spend every waking moment together. But as a teacher, I was so excited for them to have the opportunity to experience such masters of instruction. And to see the incredible performances. And to bear witness to special moments of their own which cannot be captured on DVD. And to drink terribly cheap wine with Julie.

The other aspect of this experience was knowing that they were both seeing the festival with fresh eyes. They had no pre-conceived notions of anything. They didn't know who was who or worry about behaving in a certain way. They were just there to freely learn and absorb the environment they were in and that was so exciting as a teacher to know they were experiencing.

2. Sharing the Festival with Former Troup Mate & friend Adriana
Adriana and I have been through a lot together in dance. We generally think on the same wavelength when it comes to dancing. She was a bridesmaid at my wedding. We choreographed pieces together.  It was incredibly special to be able to share workshops and ideas. All sorts of ideas began to flow as we experienced workshops and talked.

3. Watching Ruby and Delilah goofing off to live music from House of Tarab drum god Erik Brown
This is what makes festivals and travelling to workshops. All of the little things that happen that would never happen if you purchased the DVD. The memorable things. The things that matter. Watching two incredibly accomplished dancers just goofing off and having fun together with music. Even more impactful was looking across the room and seeing Julie watch this and knowing that she doesn't realize that seeing things like this are rare.

I find that workshops in home cities tend to be very stiff. Very rarely have I gone to a workshop in Edmonton or Calgary where the imported talent ate lunch with the workshop participants or engaged them on any sort of personal level. Aziza was a notable exception to this. But usually, they keep their distance, which I think it unfortunate.

The beauty with Vegas is that at one moment you could be taking a workshop with Ahava and the next she could be standing right next to you taking another workshop herself. There was lots of opportunity to interact with talented dancers on a real and personal level.

4. Sade's music in Ariellah's class
I had the distinct privelege with being raised in a home where there was music everywhere and all the time. My mother used to sing but while my friends grew up on country, I grew up listening to Peabo Bryson, Luther Vandross, Aretha Franklin, Patti Labelle, Mariah Carey and more.

My older sister also had (and still has) an incredible ear for music and I found my own tastes heavily influenced by what she listened to at home. One of the most special artists she ever played was Sade. Such a musical and soulful voice. And my sister's favourite.

So imagine my surprise that while in Ariellah's class, which artist randomly pops into her playlist? Why, Sade. And in that moment it was an instant marriage of my childhood love for music and my adulthood exploration and journey into dance where I am blessed to have the opportunity to try and translate music into movement.

5. Responding to bitchiness w/ indifference
With the good also comes the bad, and while I do not want to dwell on it, I would merely like to tip my hat to it and thank it for the life lesson. On the last night at the cocktail wrap up party, Adriana and I were running late. But it's cocktails and everything with cocktails starts an hour later. We arrived and sure enough, people were enjoying themselves conversing (although we missed Elvis. Boo).

I saw Julie and Monica sitting at a table and went over to them. There were two chairs left at the table, but they were on opposite sides of the table (which was round). I asked the ladies to the right of my students if they would mind moving down one chair so that we could sit together. The one lady loudly and rudely proclaimed "NO." I was really taken aback by this very loud and harsh response. I looked and Julie who shrugged in disbelief. The ladies on the other side of the table (who I later found out were Canadians), offered to move over one seat. We were very grateful for their act of courtesy.

Later Julie (who was totally flabbergasted) informed me that the negative Nancies had asked Julie and Monica if they could sit at the table with them and Julie and Monica of course said yes. My only real emotional response to these women was pity. Which felt like real personal growth. Haha. In the past, I probably would have gotten angry and spent the evening glaring at them. Something weird took place inside of me. I felt pity and compassion for these women....because it dawned on me that their lives must be pretty horrible if they could not find it in themselves to move one chair to share an experience with a sister in dance. And here we are, after 4 gruelling days of dancing and workshops, where we are in this together, and basic kindness is elusive and out of reach?

Kindness doesn't cost us anything. In fact, kindness lifts us up and nourishes our own souls. In a round about way, this experience felt like real personal growth and was worth mentioning because of it. I'm not upset with them, I'm happy at my response! lol. Maybe it was the incredible bonding that takes place when you are with a group of women who are working hard and pushing through their own plateaus that builds comradery? Or maybe it's the fact that you are out of your home base, where all ties and expectations are gone. But there is a link that exists and it's pretty amazing to experience.

Whatever else it may be, Vegas is a very special place to visit and if you go no where else, save up your pennies and go to the Vegas Belly Dance Intensive.

No comments:

Post a Comment